Water Canal & Woods
Services and Facilities
The Canal Future
Canal Virtual Tour
- The cargo ship Ancon was the first vessel to
transit the Canal on August 15, 1914.
- A boat traveling from New York to San
Francisco saves 7,872 miles by using the Panama Canal instead of going around Cape Horn.
- The highest toll paid for a transit through
the Panama Canal until 1995 paid by the Crown Princess on May 2, 1993; it was
- The lowest toll paid was US$ 0.36 and was
paid by Richard Halliburton who crossed the Canal swimming in 1928.
- The San Juan Prospector was the longest ship
to transit the Canal; it was 751 ft. (229 m.) in length with a 107 ft. (32.6 m.) beam.
- The Hydrofoil Pegasus of the United States
Navy did the fastest transit of the Canal by completing it in 2 hours and 41 minutes.
- Each door of the locks weights 750 tons.